- Willow Smith is, unsurprisingly, the daughter of Will Smith.
- This is her debut single, Whip My Hair, and it’s a stomping, thuddering, infectious slice of poppy r’n’b.
- She has just signed to Jay-Z’s Roc Nation label and sounds an awful lot like Rihanna, who she cites as being one of her idols.
- She’s nine years old. Nine! NINE! That makes me feel a little bit wrong for liking this.
- She wrote it herself, apparently. That’s quite amazing. I probably couldn’t write a song even now, so she’s already outdoing me in the life department.
- And what were you doing with your life when you were 9? I was dancing around my room pretending to be Britney Spears. Which is exactly what Willow Smith is doing, except she’s a lot cooler than I was, and actually gets to live the dream of whipping your hair about a lot while running across a stage. Which was always what I wanted to do. I weep for my lost youth.
- You’ll probably wake up tomorrow singing ‘I whip my hair back and forth! I whip my hair back and forth!‘ like I did this morning. Just don’t try and whip your hair back and forth all that much, think of your neck! You’re not a sprightly nine year old any more, you know.